Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Latest...

Well, my mom needs to know right off that I'm not going to include any pics in this post, just like I didn't in the last either. And like she needs to see them--she sees the main subject nearly every day in person!! Stop reading here, mom!!

Here's the background on the job for the rest of you faithful readers. I have spent the past year of my teaching job feeling unsettled and unmotivated. One problem right off the bat was that I had too many irons in the fire. A few days before spring break I got over my wimpy self and resigned from doing musicals. I will greatly miss working with Marie to put together a show, but this fall I was not a good assistant, or a good teacher or a good mom/wife. It was too much!! With that off my plate, I tried to get enthused about how nice the fall would be. But the truth is, I still wasn't excited. My job this year has been tough. Managing 22 students with multiple needs in a high stakes world drags a girl like me down. I've felt like a failure every time I see test scores (and we do a lot of it nowadays) because of how "low" things would turn out. I've had some psycho parents this year that have caused me to about lose my mind. And I've felt like a failure as a mom every time I have left a sick Rylan home with her Mema or Daddy. It should be my job to be home with her! Instead when I am home I find myself on the phone with said psycho parents, grading papers or planning lessons.

My new job will entail starting a new program-teaching Library Skills to every class, K-6. I will still have the opportunity to work with students that way. I will also be working with my first teaching partner again as she is the Technology teacher. We'll hopefully piggy-back some projects across all grade levels. Steve has also said that I will be involved with reading interventions in the primary grades. the most exciting part for me right now, though, is visualizing and planning how to rearrange the library. I envision setting up different areas-one for media, one for small group learning and my favorite one-a coffeehouse type area, complete with a couch, bean bags, music, and maybe the occasional drinks! I'd love it if our library had a place for teachers to bring their class for small lessons or poetry coffeehouses.

Shaun also has a couple of exciting things going on. First, and the biggest, is that he is working on getting his scuba certification. He has completed half of the classwork and his inside dives done (am I saying that all right? Not sure). Next he and dad will be headed to Utah to do their open water dives. Then next January he will get to scuba dive in Belize when we are on our 7-day Western Caribbean cruise! Mom's youth group is getting together to celebrate turning 50 and children were invited. I didn't hesitate to take them up on the invite! And hey, being a librarian means not having to write sub plans for a week! Haha!!

He will also be installing sprinkler system with our brother-in-law Damion's assistance this weekend. That project is long overdue and he's pretty excited about it. He also has plans this summer to build a fence across the back yard so Titus can have his space and we can bring back what Titus and Sadie have ruined the last four years. We're also going to tear out the deck, as we know there is a concrete pad underneath to work with for now and the deck is so gross and nasty. Fun stuff!!

Rylan continues to woo the world wherever she goes. God finally got through to me that I need to be on my knees praying for her future and how He will use her somehow irresistible little personality. I don't get it. I mean, I think she's cute as can be and all, but I can't figure out how or why she is able to draw others in. My friend Lindsay recently told me that she is "addictive." Weird. This past weekend a lady at Walmart told her she was just as adorable as her mom. I'll take that compliment! Mom was helping me shop at Maurices the other day for an interview outfit and Rylan let out a loud toot in her Mema's arms. She held up her hand, waving it back and forth, and said, "Stinky!" (her version of the world at least). Ahhhh, a girl after her mommy's heart. I'm so excited that there are only 4 1/2 weeks of school left. I am ready to spend the days playing with her and having great adventures.

Finally, I think it's safe to reveal that we are going to have a new niece or nephew in November. We are so excited!! From what I hear Daunee' is starting to show a bit and just glowing. I can't wait to see her and spend time with her and the Reynolds this weekend. Daunee', Echo and several girls from school and I will be going to the Bachelor Auction on Saturday night to cheer on Tucker. It benefits the Relay for Life and should be a blast to watch!! Hope this post finds you all enjoying beautiful spring weather and happy times!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job! Your daughter will appreciate the time she has with you in the evenings and such now that you won't be in the classroom. (Take it from an expert since that was Mom's position for so long!!) CONGRATS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new position! I'm sure you'll be awesome at it and it will be so nice to have time with your family. I had the same issue with too many irons in the fire last year and took two semesters off of school, it was well worth it!
    Also, congrats on being an Aunt again!! I finally get to meet my first nephew next weekend! YAY!
    You guys sound busy, same here! I'm glad to hear everyone is good!

    ReplyDelete