Sunday, March 22, 2009

Rylan Renee' Turns One!

Well, she really turned one over a week ago, but life has been crazy since then!! I am in the middle of PAWS testing at school, and when I wasn't consumed with how miserable that is going I was busy planning a Women's Tea for church. It was an exhausting week. But thankfully the Tea went well and the coming week holds no testing. I feel like I have a load lifted from my shoulders!

It is amazing to me how much Rylan really does seem like a toddler now and not our baby. The week she turned one she decided she wanted to walk. She has been taking steps her and there for over a month, but never more than one or two at a time. Now if she has nothing in her way she will make her way across the room. It's pretty cute to see her moving upright. I had been selfishly wanting her to be walking by the time we go to Tennessee and I think we will be okay. The idea of putting her down on the floor to crawl at an airport grosses me out.

On Rylan's birthday she and Shaun came to school at lunch. My teaching friends are awesome; when Rylan comes they greet her like they see her every day, and she loves the attention they give her. She pulled out all of her tricks and was quite the little show off. My boss has heard me say how difficult she can be sometimes, but he said after seeing her be so cute he won't ever believe that she's not always an angel. After lunch we went to my classroom and Rylan shared some brownie bites with my students. She got very shy when they sang Happy Birthday and buried her head in daddy's chest. But man , did she love getting some chocolate. She also fell in love with some stuffed animals on my girls passed down to her. And she is enjoying using the crocheted doll blanket another student gave her. They were tickled to present her with gifts and we had a fun time!




So happy to be eating chocolate!



That evening we had a house full of people for the party. Later I did hear that I'm not much of a host; sorry for that, folks. Most of our crowd was family-and the friends that were present I consider family. In other words, you know where stuff is and you can get it yourself! We had eighteen people (including children) over throughout the night and it was good to see everyone. We didn't get started on presents until after seven and Rylan was getting really grouchy. She was definitely not into presents like she was at Christmas. She did, though, get some great toys that she has been having a blast with! Then we tortured her and made her sit in her high chair to go after cake. By that time she was really over all of the people and events. She was shy during people singing again and dipped just her fingers into her frosting. She did stick her lips right on it once. And about ten minutes after trying to get her eat cake she was asleep in bed! The rest of the evening found people visiting in one room and playing Wii in the other. I think there were people up in the house until around 1 am! Oh, my favorite thing from that night was the "Happy Birthday" plate everyone signed for Rylan. I think we will get it out each year and put her cake on it. The messages everyone wrote will be fun to look at in the future.

Watching Auntie Daunee' play with Aiden


"Am I okay, Aiden?"


Trying to decide which of the Nebelsick Triplets to play with first!


Playing catch with Uncle Tucker


Elizabeth and I and the kiddos-I just can't call them babies anymore!


"Please don't sing to me again!"



"I'll just use my fingers."


Yummy cake

The next morning we got up way too early to head to Rapid and get Rylan's pictures done at JcPenneys. We've tried Sears and JcPenneys and have liked what they did with poses and prices better. This time, though, our daughter just wanted to be on the move and not sit still for anything! I was shocked that we got any decent poses to choose from. Thank goodness we won't have to do them again for a while. I get very stressed out when I don't think things are going well!

Monday Shaun took Rylan to the doctor for her one-year check-up and shots. She weighed in at 20 pounds, 4 ounces and is 28 inches long. She is our petite princess!! We are grateful that she made it over the twenty pound mark so she can turn around in her carseat now. We think it will make a difference for her to be able to see us and the world in front of her. Anyone who rode in a vehicle with us for the first year of Rylan's life was subjected to some pretty awful crying at times, not making for enjoyable rides anywhere!

Let's see...what other things is Rylan doing? She loves, I mean loves her cousins. She and Ella don't always get along--they spend their time fighting over Mema and the small rocking chair from my childhood days. Anything Aiden does Rylan is enthralled with. I am looking forward to watching them grow up together. I have no doubt that Aiden won't let any boys near Ella or Rylan as they get older!

Rylan also loves seeing her friends at church. She uses worship as her own personal "pass me around" time. This past Sunday she made her way from me to her Papa, Mema, Auntie Echo, Uncle Paul, back down the row to Uncle Tucker, then spent time with Gary, Kenna, Ben and Teddie Rose. She was very busy!! As I've said before, she is a huge blessing in our lives and we are so thankful to have her. Each day she does something to make us laugh and enjoy each and every moment. I can't wait to watch her grow and change over the next year!!
Showing off one of the blocks from the Downeys and her new pigtail look!


2 comments:

  1. Kenz, Rylan and Judd weigh exactly the same and are the same in length! So what is your petite princess is my short and small little boy! My kids are all destined to be small and short though! That's why I'm always shocked to see Elizabeths pictures of the kids.
    I'm glad she had a great birthday and I love her new pigtail look! Happy Birthday Rylan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so fun!

    I wish I could have been there!!

    Happy B-Day Rylan!!

    ReplyDelete